Thursday, December 02, 2004

Welcome to the NBA Source

December 2, 2004
By Paul Benedict

I've been pining over when to write this piece, and I have decided that now seems like an appropriate time given that we seem to have a solid base of readers. I first want to thank everyone that has been coming back and especially those that have us bookmarked. In case you haven't noticed, we have had about 2400 hits over the last 3+ days thanks in large part to some promotional work done by Anthony and myself (We're now banned from ESPN Message boards). While we can't assume the hits will keep coming at this pace, we can hope that at least some of the people that come to the site appreciate what we're doing, and come back on a frequent basis. Our goal right now is to reach out to a base of hardcore NBA fans just like us and write about exactly what me and Ant would want to read ourselves. We know that we're not the only die-hard NBA fans out there, and that's who this site is really for. We appreciate the visits from the gamblers too. We never intended to draw an audience mainly for our picks, but with the rate we're going at right now, I think its safe to say we deserve one. And if that has people coming back to the site, then great--but take the time out to read what we're writing too. We put a lot of time and effort into our work, and often times you can pick up a lot on teams' trends and prospects just through our work; I can think of a number of times where I made a pick based on some research I had done for a piece (Check the Portland/Seattle game Tuesday night). Ultimately, I'm not sure where we go from here. Let me tell you a bit about myself, and then I'll get further into our future plans and goals...

My name is Paul Benedict, I'm from CT, and am back living in my home state since graduating from Villanova University in May with a degree in Communications and minors in English and Spanish. Ever since I can remember, I've had my sights set on making it in the sports media industry. I did an internship with the sports department at NBC 10 in Philly and another with WIP Sports Radio 610 within the last year and a half. These two experiences pushed me more towards the sports broadcasting spectrum rather than on the print side, and so I focused my energy on making it into TV or radio. I started applying for jobs in the spring, hoping that I'd land something by the time I graduated, but nothing came about. I moved back to CT for the summer to continue the job search, but by the time August had come around, I was still searching for answers. Frustrated, confused, and just plain down at the time, I met someone who had a nice hookup in production at NBA TV in Secaucus, NJ. It seemed like a dream job for me, and with the application process going flawlessly, I thought the job was in the bag. However, due to budget cuts, they weren't able to offer me a position and I was left reeling in despair once again. But thanks in large part to a close friend (Anthony), I was back on my feet in no time. Ant and I had been tossing around the idea of starting a web page on the NBA during the summer and into September, but never really got moving on it. It wasn't until late October, right about the time that I had discovered that I wouldn't be working for the NBA, that Anthony started bringing it up to me again. I have to give Anthony a lot of credit for pushing me to do this. After being totally distraught for a couple days, he got me believing that this was really something we could do, and do really well. We both started writing fervently, churning out team previews at a frenetic pace ( we ended up never even using them) during the last week of October, but still not knowing what we were going to do with them. I went as far as purchasing a domain name, www.talkinnba.com, but then realized I didn't have a clue as to what the hell I was doing. So I mentioned the idea of a Blog, something that was suggested to me during the summer as a way to break in. Neither of us liked the idea of a Blog, but neither of us knew anything about how to run a web site. And so we set up nbasource.blogspot.com, and a month or so later, we're thoroughly enjoying ourselves and proud to say that people enjoying reading us.

Now for the future, here's some of our ideas and potential changes we'd like to make:

-We're going to get a message board up at some point within the next week. It's a good way to get communication flow through readers and even develop some camaraderie.

-Obviously the layout needs some work. Like I said, our web design skills are as poor as Antoine Walker's shot selection, so bear with us. We've got some help on the way, so hopefully within a week or so, the site will be more accessible and aesthetically appealing.

-We've also got some swell ideas for the content of the site. Beginning Monday, we'll premiere the AP Poll...separate rankings of each team 1-30 by the two of us. We'll release the rankings each Monday and attempt to draw as much criticism and scrutiny as the BCS Poll.

-We're tinkering with the idea of a possible nightly player news snippets --similar to the Players News section on ESPNs fantasy basketball page, but more enjoyable to read. It'd be tough to sustain because we both have lives and enjoying doing things like any other 23 year-olds...ya know, like throwing back some beers and macking it to chicks, but it's a possibility. We'd probably have to limit it to certain night or maybe even just make posts on random nights when available. We know that people scour the internet looking for any tidbits of news on players or teams, and Anthony and I both know where we can find anything and everything, what's relevant, and what you want to read.

-We would also love to do a mailbag, but realize that might take some time. Not enough people read us yet and not enough care to write comments. We're going to debut our blog's email address tonight...hell, I'll do it right now... nbasource@hotmail.com. Write us whenever you have something to say, a topic you'd like to shed light on, an issue you'd like to raise, an idea you have, or even to curse our existence. Hopefully one day we can post a Mailbag type article where we respond to your qualms...

-And finally, let me just reiterate how much this site means to Anthony and I. It's a great feeling knowing that people are reading and enjoying your work. We're going to keep on writing as long as you keep on reading. Signing off--Paul, Pablo, Phenom...(I'm deciding on an alias)

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

you had me laughing out loud at the "Antoine Walker shot selection" comment - keep up the good work guys - and feel free to drop by CelticsBlog.com anytime - you aren't the only ones who can do cross promotion ;)

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Nat said...

I just recently saw your promoting of this site on espn boards and right off the bat after my first browse added it to my bookmarks. Like you in a way i have always wanted to go into sports media/journalism and will hope to contribute here often once there is room for that or through a message board. keep up the great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home