Monday, June 06, 2005

Monday's Playoff Pick

June 6, 2005

Home Team in CAPS

Anthony's Pick:

Saturday: (1-0)

  • MIAMI -2 over DETROIT

Fuck it, I'll root for the Heat tonight


Paul's Pick:

Saturday: (1-0)

  • Detroit +2 over MIAMI

I don't care about the 82% of home teams winning Game 7s, I don't care about Miami having a raucous crowd. I don't care if Dwyane Wade is playing, and I don't care about how healthy he is. I don't care if Shaq is involved, I don't care if Zo is also involved. I don't care if the Pistons haven't played back-to-back good games all series, and I don't care if their lack of depth is catching up to them. Detroit will win this game. Miami will take a hard-luck loss and try to bounce back next season. Check NBA history folks, it happens all the time-- elite up-and-coming teams suffer a monumental loss to experienced clubs one year before regrouping and trying to settle the score the next season. DETROIT 89, HEAT 86

2 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Nat said...

paul i hope you are soo wrong... one completely defensive team in the finals is ok.. but 2 defensive teams is gonna be unbearable to watch

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Paul Benedict said...

Nat-- Yeah, we've got two great defensive teams in the Finals, but we've also got the two BEST teams. It will be an outstanding Finals regardless of whether or not the scores hit the 100's. This isn't like the 2003 Finals where a boring Spurs team completely slowed down a so-so Nets team. The Spurs don't just drop it down to TD every possession-- they're actually at their best offensively when they run the floor. And this Pistons team makes the 2003 Nets look mediocre in comparison. From a marketing standpoint, this NBA Finals is a kick in the balls. No major cities, no major stars (from a marketing standpoint), and two teams that would prefer to keep the game in the 90's. But you can't tell me that they don't match up well against one another, that they aren't the two best teams, and that you actually can tell me what the outcome is going to be. Isn't that what this is all about anyways? Is there really a favorite heading into Thursday? Sure the Spurs have homecourt, but the Pistons are the defending champs. It's going to be a helluva Finals and actually the one I've been gunning for all along (and not just because I picked both teams at the start of the season and the start of the Playoffs-- hear that sound? That's me tooting my own horn!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home