Friday, July 01, 2005

Into the West



Yesterday I had the opportunity to watch a superb Timberwolves/Celtics game from March 6th of this year. Latrell Sprewell hit a game-winning floater with 0.9 seconds left, but that was far from the highlight of the broadcast. During halftime, FSN-NE aired a feature on Delonte West which may have tipped Bill Simmons' infamous 'unintentional comedy scale'. I've known West for some time now, ever since my Wildcats clashed with the St.Joe's Hawks and the entire Villanova student section mercilessly scremed out, "HERPES...HERPES!" every time Delonte touched the ball (I did not participate, I swear to GOD). And I had heard stories from St. Joe's kids that he was a bit of an oddball, but my goodness. If any of you ever get a chance to check out this game, fast forward it to halftime and prepare to laugh yourself senseless. Here are a couple Delonte excerpts from the feature...

-"My game is not speed. My game is finesse...and sexy...and chocolate...and all that good stuff."

-"Bugs Bunny is the smoothest dude I ever met. You know, he be chillin', like it just be a normal day and he-- it be cold just like how it is in Boston and he just want to dive in the ground, pop up, and he be like, 'oh man, this ain't Albuquerque.' That's got to be the tightest life, you just hop underneath the ground and go! No traffic, no Mass Pike, no tolls, no lights, no taking Yankees hats off-- just underneath the ground...BAM...carrots...Albuquerque. It might seem crazy to you, but it's just a different way of expressing myself. I think it's kind of freaky."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home