Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tuesday's Picks

So far so good: Kobe and Phil try and keep up their winning ways tonight in Atlanta


November 8, 2005

Home Team in CAPS

Anthony's Picks:

Last Night: (3-2); Week: (3-2); Season: (33-17)
  • ATLANTA +5 over LA Lakers
  • Golden State +5.5 over MILWAUKEE
  • MEMPHIS -4.5 over Seattle
  • Orlando +8 over HOUSTON
  • Detroit -2 over SACRAMENTO

--Reverse theory in effect here with Atlanta and the Lake Show. There's no reason to think LA can't cover 5 against the Hawks, so I gotta go with the hometown boys. LAL 104, ATL 102, OT

--I think Milwaukee will have their first slip up of the season tonight against a solid Warriors ballclub. The Bucks have to be riding high after starting the season 3-0, and I just can't see that streak continuing on. GS 107, MIL 102

--It appears that the Grizzlies may be better than a lot of us originally thought. I was fairly surprised with them taking care of the Cavs the other night and fully expect them to do the same to Seattle. MEM 97, SEA 91.

--Houston is going to struggle mightily to put up points with T-Mac on the sidelines. 8 is just too many points for me. HOU 92, ORL 88

--Sure Sactown beat a good Phoenix team the other night, but are they really in the same league as Detroit? I don't think many teams are at this point...DET 97, SAC 93.

GOOD LUCK


Paul's Picks:

Last Night: (3-2); Week: (3-2); Season: (26-24)

  • ATLANTA +5 over Lakers
  • MEMPHIS -4.5 over Seattle
  • MILWAUKEE -4.5 over Golden State
  • Orlando +8 over HOUSTON
  • Detroit -2 over SACRAMENTO

--Lakers were 14-25 on the road ATS the spread last year. I also think Atlanta might have a little home court advantage working in their favor seeing as fans usually show up to the home openers. We'll know by the end of the week what to expect from the Hawks with two more home games on the slate. LAL 103-100

--Seattle leaves Key Arena for the first time this season as they kick off a 5-game road swing that should tell us a lot about this team. The Sonics swept the Grizz last seson and have taken 9 of 10 from their Western Conference foe. I think the Grizz can match up a little better this year, with Gasol being more of a force in the post, Dahntay Jones being able to stick with Ray Allen, and the Grizz eliminating the mistakes that cost them against Seattle in the past. MEM 95-88

--The Warriors didn't play very well against the Knicks on Sunday, but made some big plays down the stretch to pull out the win. There's a lot less room for error tonight against an explosive Bucks attack. Golden State won't be able to outscore Milwaukee at the Bradley Center, so they're going to have to step up their defense. I don't see that happening. MIL 111-100

--Stevie Francis tried to do too much last year when the Magic met the Rockets and it cost the team in two double-digit losses. He'll still probably take the game personally and try to carry the team, but he's a tough match up for the Rockets. I think Francis and Howard do enough offensively to keep the Magic close with the McGrady-less Rockets. HOU 96-93

--A team built on chemistry against a team with no real leadership. Flip Saunders vs Rick Adelman. Defense vs Offense. These are the factors that will allow the Pistons to slug out a win in an exceptional early-season game. DET 98-95

6 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Tobes said...

Hey

I have a question probably only a foreigner could ask. What do these plus and minus amounts mean...?

I like reading your website but I would enjoy it more if I knew what we are looking at with these pieces where you guys pick...

I'm not ashamed, just foreign...hehehe!

Thanx

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger BBallBlog said...

Ah, don't be ashamed, my foreigner friend. I'm American and it still confuses the hell out of me, and I'm not sure why. Seems like an easy concept. But I look at it, and my mind goes blank.

Don't count the Kings out against Detroit - the Kings made the Webber trade last February and went on the road and didn't return home until March 6th. Their first opponent? Detroit, and they spanked them with that new roster. The situations are somewhat similar tonight, I think. ;)

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

Here it is plain and simple fellas. Vegas sets a line for each game every day, which announces who is the favorite and who is the underdog. If the line is 5, one team is favored by 5, the other the underdog by 5. So tonight, the Lakers are 5 point favorites, thus -5. This means they need to win their game by more than 5 to cover the spread. So if you pick the Lakers -5, you need them to beat the Hawks by more than 5 and you win. Because all you're doing really is taking their point total, subtracting 5 (hence the -5) and the Lakers would still need to win the game.

Conversely, the Hawks would have to be +5. That means if the Hawks lose by less than 5 or even win the game, they cover the spread. So all you are doing really is just adding 5 points to their total (hence the +5) and the Hawks would have to win the game by doing so.

Hopefully this all makes sense now, if not don't hesitate to write back and explain any further complications.

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger BBallBlog said...

I see, I think. Thanks, Anthony.

And boy, my Kings rolled over for the Pistons tonight. At this point, I'm wondering why Peja Stojakovic should get a big contract extension - if the Kings can find a player who can do more than just shoot (and Peja has had one good game so far) for Peja, they need to. Seriously, two games in a row and Bibby - the same height I am - outrebounds the 6'9 Peja. Ridiculous.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

BBall-
I'm still scratching my head over why the Kings never went through with that Peja for Artest deal. I don't remember who backed away, but I'm sure at that point Peja and Bobby Jax could have gotten that done. Oh well...

More on potential trades later today

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Tobes said...

Thanx for the explanation Anthony. I understand it now and it makes reading the posts more enjoyable.

Good job on the picks so far...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home