Thursday, December 22, 2005

Picks Challenge

Now that I'm riding solo (for now), this whole nightly picks process isn't much fun. What's the point if I'm not getting the enjoyment of beating Paul, right? So I decided this weekend to bring back the Picks Challenge and allow as many readers as possible to get involved. Here's how were going to do this:
  • The Picks Challenge will debut next Monday, not tomorrow
  • I will allow as many participants as possible, but you need to submit your name in the comments section below, or email me by next Sunday. If you don't, you will not have the opportunity to compete this season. Sorry.
  • Each person involved will choose 20 games per week. You will submit your picks every night in the comments section BEFORE THE FIRST GAME TIPS. (Note: I was going to have everyone make a selection for every game each week, but if one person is unable to make picks for even one night, this whole this will collapse faster than Loren Woods' career)
  • I will post the lines every day well before 5 (hopefully in the morning). You HAVE to use these.
  • Each participant will face another player each week and whoever has the most correct picks out of 20 will get a win. The loser, of course, will get a loss. Ties will be counted as well.
  • At the end of the season, the 8 players with the best records will move on to the Playoff round. The 4 winners there will then advance to the semifinals, then the top 2 to the Finals. (Tiebreakers for the Playoffs will be determined by head-to-head records. If there is still a tie after that, we will figure something else out)
  • Whoever is victorious will be crowned Picks Challenge Champion and get their name on the sidebar for a whole season. (There may be a better prize, I just can't think of one right now)

So make sure to sign up below, with something simple like, "Yo this is Vance Witherspoon. Count me in dawg." You don't need to blab on about how excited how are and that you can't wait to begin researching past games, and this is so cool and so fun and yada, yada, yada. I hope we can get more than 20 people so make sure to let others know. Thanks

PS-I am still reviewing the emails I've gotten and will make some concrete decisions this week. Thanks for all the kind words, it really means a lot to both Paul and I.



Challenge List as of 12/22

#Participant
1.Anthony Peretore
2.Zach Hayes
3.Will Shu
4.Eric Shen
5.Barry Wang
6.Jerm
7.Koko Archibong
8.Matt Brodeur (Buh)
9.Simon Chan
10.Nat
11.Curtis
12.Gary Duncan
13.Sonny
14.Michael
15.Robb Jones
16.John Kim
17.Ryan Kinkade
18.Eric Tung (ET)
19.Alex Carnevale
20.Jose Enderica
21.Bob Shurtleff
22.Joe Kickass
23.Dirk Diggler
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.

43 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous William Shu said...

im not sure how this works. do we just say for instance LAC over Miami or do we hafta put LAC + 6.5 miami. im not sure what the + number is but i would love to have a go at it

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Zach said...

i know how all of it works, so count me in

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Eric Shen said...

im in

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

I will post the lines every night, like I said. If you don't really know how this works then I wouldn't recommend it.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Will Shu said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Will Shu said...

alright i got it. in for sure

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Barry Wang said...

Yo this is Barry Wang. Count me in dawg.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous jermstars said...

this is jerm. count me in

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Frank Evans said...

i dont get what the lines are. i can predict the outcomes fo sho but ur lines are weird dawg

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YO ANT... count me in dawg.

buh

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Simon Chan said...

Simon C signing in.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Nat said...

count me in Ant... should get some life up in here

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Koko Archibong said...

Yo this is Koko Archibong. Count me in dawg.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

Frank Evans, you're eliminated already.

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Zach said...

Why do i get the feeling Will Shu, Eric Shen, Barry Wang, Simon Chan and Kiko Archibong are all one person?

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

If this is indeed the case, please stop. Most of us are really looking forward to this so please don't submit multiple names. As of right now I have myself, Zach, Buh, Nat and Jerm as official participants. Those other guys are disqualified unless you present a valid argument that you are not affiliated with the other 4 user names.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous will shu said...

wtf? u can check the email. and i wouldnt be up at 2:47 AM to enter this thing

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous will shu said...

i do know who barry wang is because i saw this competition and told him about it. if u really think we're the same person me and him will both give u evidence we arent.

and zach. before u starting pointing fingers get ur facts straight man. kiko archibong sounds like a fake name but dude dont make false accusations

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous will shu said...

im beginning to think ur a racist zach. just because 4 people have asian names u think they're the same person. and i can tell u dont like all four of them.

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Zach said...

haha, thats funny Will, but im as far away from racist as a person can get. ive never met you people so how could you say i dont like "all four of you." Sure, i found it a little bit suspicious that there were 4 people signed up that A) had brand new blogger accounts and B) had relatively similar names, but i didnt mean to offend anybody by it. I'm glad ur all different people and cant wait for the picks challenge to start.

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Curtis said...

Ant, you know I'm in homey.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

Koko Archibong was a former UPenn player, not a made up name. I guess you're all in, but Zach you're right, it did seem very suspicious. Sorry for the assumptions Will. You're in. So is Barry, Eric, and Simon. I'll post a list once it reaches 15 or so.

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Curtis said...

Ant, I wouldn't count this Koko Archibong dude. I'm guessing he doesn't realize that we're smart enough to know that Koko Archibong played for Penn a few years ago, and thinks he can use this as a funny secondary name that will fool everyone. Good one.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Simon Chan said...

I don't think there was any malice in zach's accusation. I think there was a valid reason to be suspicious, but nonetheless it is good to get that out of the way. NBA source seems to be doing very well with the asian demographic heh.

I'm looking forward to participating instead of the usual lurking i do.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Gary Duncan said...

i would love to participate in your picks. Only one thing, when selecting the winners what about people who only pick the easiest games? Like Sixers over Raptors, every week?

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger sonny said...

Sonny here from Toronto. Count me in , Raptor nizzle for shizzle , we will turn it around b4 CB4 bounces!!!!

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Jerm said...

Yo anthony. Can you explain the scoring system and exactly how you write out the predictions? (what's with the +4.5 and -5.5) I'm sure it'd be quite helpful to most of us here.

Thanks

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous michael said...

Ant, I want in. This should be fun.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll put my name in the hat as an avid reader and a hopeful, prospective gambler as I'm not 21 yet, however I guarantee no success, I'll just go with my gut. Do we have to have a blog (or blogspot account) to enter?

-Robb.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know im in baby.
-asian sensation

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Ryan Kinkade said...

Sounds like fun... count me in.

I've been slackin' off big time on my blog because of and intense finals schedule... but i'm on break now and ready to get back into it.

A little off topic, but you're an accountant, right Anthony? Have you read 'The World is Flat'? I kinda just started it, but there's some interesting stuff about the trend towards outsourcing for accountant preparation tasks... kinda interesting. I've taken a bunch of accounting classes, that's why I ask... anyways, sorry to hear about Paul, good luck and may NBA Source live on.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Eric said...

Sure, sounds like fun, count me in.

May the best ... uh ... picker win.

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Eric said...

Noticed there was another Eric up there. This is Eric Tung. I'll be "ET" to reduce confusion.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

I need last names here too. What if I get more than one Zach or Eric. That will get pretty confusing.

As far as the lines go, Vegas makes them. They decided which team is the favorite and by how many points. For instance, Orlando was favored by 8 tonight (-8) meaning they need to win by more than 8 to cover. If Toronto (+8) lost by less than 8 or won the game, they would cover. I'd rather drink liquid nails than explain this again, so if you still don't get it I suggest you sit this one out. This isn't AP calculus here.

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous bablos said...

hello ant... i have question.. what does -4 mean?? does that mean that the team is playing without 4 of its players on that night?? if this is true where do we go to find out who is sitting out so we can know who to bet on

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Alex Carnevale said...

I would like to play if you have space.

Alex Carnevale

 
At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robb Jones...but I don't have a blog or anything.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Zach said...

last name is Hayes....Zach Hayes

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Anthony Peretore said...

Bablos is a funny guy. He makes jokes so that people will laugh. The sad thing is, that wouldn't be such a far-fetched question coming from some of our readers. Not you guys of course, other people. Uh, yeah.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Joe Kickass said...

i'm in

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Jose E. said...

Cant wait to play.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Dirk Diggler said...

This is Dirk from Germany. Count me in, Ant.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger JWhitewater said...

I'm Johnny Whitewater. And you can "count me in dawg."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home